A peaceful Humanoid race from the planet Betazed, known for their telepathic abilities.
“To some degree, my culture owes whatever good it’s achieved to our ability to know one another telepathically. It’s made us truly whole in a way few species ever become. But every culture, no matter how benign, struggles with its own capacity for evil. That struggle is hardest on a telepathic species, where the slightest thought of violence, destruction, even death, can potentially be made manifest. There’s a reason the Vulcans struggled so long to master their passions, and still do. They know the capacity for evil can never truly be purged. Mastery is the best anyone can hope for”.
- (Deanna Troi)
A Human aphorism claims that “seeing is believing”, while on Vulcan there is a similar saying; “the evidence of the eyes is often immune to logic”. In Tellarite culture: “That which can make itself seen, must be”. There is no similar saying on Betazed - the Betazoids’ telepathic perceptions trump all other senses, none of which are considered more compelling than the others.
- First House of Betazed: House of Honesty/Truth
- Second House of Betazed: House of Mysticism
- Third House of Betazed: House of Health
- Fourth House of Betazed: House of Natural Art and Muses
- Fifth House of Betazed: House of Nobility
- Sixth House of Betazed: House of Heart and Life
- Seventh House of Betazed: House of Courage
- Eighth House of Betazed: House of Intuition
- Ninth House of Betazed: House of Wealth
- Tenth House of Betazed: House of Perseverance
- Eleventh House of Betazed: House of Hearth
- Twelfth House of Betazed: House of Balance
- Thirteen House of Betazed: House of Peace and Protection
Thanks to Betazed’s well-watered continents and many archipelagos, the Betazoids developed quickly as a species, having little need for competition over resources. Lots of habitable room translated into fast population growth, which in turn led to rapid technological development.